Sunday, December 16, 2007

Vidya Balan gossips about her home coming


Kolkata is like my second home and yet, I’ve not been there in two years. I’m dying to pay a visit to Kalighat. I miss the jhalmuri from Gariahat, the roll that we used to have every evening in front of Lahabari and the soda served in earthen tumblers in the Vivekananda Park stalls.

A lot has changed in two years. What are the things you can’t do now?

I used to take long walks outside the Chaudhury guest house while shooting for Parineeta. Raima would join me too. Along with Subarna (dress designer), Tanushree (art director), we would amble down the back alleys. I don’t think I can do that any more. I had been to Ajmer Sharif and was told that I’ll be safest if I wear a burqa there. But, since I’m not so used to it, I kept on moving the veil off my eyes.

Do you miss the anonymity of the past?

I am grateful to God for this. I don’t miss the anonymity. But yes, I will miss standing on the terrace of Chaudhury guest house in the cold with all my friends.


Is saying yes to Gautam Halder’s next film a way of proving to your detractors that you don’t really forget those who give you a break?

To each his own. I couldn’t work in Laaga Chunri Mein Daag (LCMD) because the dates didn’t work out. It wasn’t easy for me to refuse LCMD. My dates were committed to Heyy Babyy. When Gautamda approached me, I told him that if the dates work out, I will surely do it. It’s only for him that I realised my dream of seeing myself on the big screen.

Do you wish you had done Konkona’s role in LCMD?

With an actor like Konkona, there is little scope for anyone to think of giving a better performance. I think Konkona has left a mark for herself in LCMD. I told her that too. I can’t imagine myself in that role.

Is your new look an attempt to break the image of being a traditional beauty?

I love my new hairstyle. I’ve been trying to give a new look that gels with my characters. I think I can try as long as it doesn’t cost me.

Saroj Khan says she wants to choreograph you. Which is the one Saroj Khan number that you wish to have danced to?

I would have liked to do every song that Madhuri has done though I don’t think anyone can do it like her. Her comment is a blessing for me. Sarojji is the Birju Maharaj of film dance.

They say there is no smoke without a fire. How do you explain the rumours between you and Shahid?

In Aziz Mirza’s unit, film-making is a truly collaborative effort. We would all get along very well. I guess, Shahid and I were linked because it made for spicy stories.

No comments: