Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Acting and directing together for the first time was a bit of a challenge.says Aamir khan












Bollywood actor Aamir Khan spoke candidly to South African journalists from Mumbai about his accidental debut as director in his latest film, "Taare Zameen Par", which opens worldwide this Friday, and his views on educating children today.

"It's about a kid who has a passion for painting but faces a lot of difficulty in his academic life. It's a story about his life and his relationship with his art teacher, which is the role that I play, by changing his life through caring and understanding. That is the key message of the film - that with caring and love you can actually do a lot," Aamir said.

"I think my character is very open-minded as a teacher. He doesn't believe in the rigid authority of what is conventional education."When teaching children, it's very important that kids enjoy what they are doing, and that's when they learn best because it's exciting for them. It's our responsibility to make it exciting for kids."

"About a week into the shooting I was not very happy and Amole Gupte (who wrote the script and was directing the film) and I had a meeting and I expressed my reservations.

"Obviously we realised that we had creative differences, so I offered to him that I would back off. Gupte gave it some thought and both of us decided that perhaps I should take over the responsibility."

"It is challenging and comes with its own demands so I did the best that I could. I think I'm quite happy with the way the film has turned out.

"While it was tough to do both things, it's not something that has not been done before. There are some great examples before us - Raj Kapoor, Manoj Kumar, Guru Dutt, Charlie Chaplin. You know a lot of them have acted and directed at the same time."

Commenting on rumours that he may be seen on screen with Amitabh Bachchan and Salman Khan soon, and also on Madhuri Dixit's comment that he was the actor she would most want to act with again now that she has made a comeback after motherhood, Aamir said: "Madhuri is a wonderful co-star. I've really enjoyed working with her and if and when the opportunity comes up again, I'd love to repeat that.

"Again, I'm a big fan of Amitji and if I ever get the chance to work with him it will be my good fortune. Salman is a friend and I think we had a great time doing 'Andaaz Apna Apna', so while there is nothing definite on the cards with any of these three, if it does happen, I'd be happy."

No comments: